Sunday 16 December 2012

New Life – 14/5/11



“What we call the beginning is often the end. And to make an
end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from.”
~T.S. Eliot~


It is amazing how quickly things change, how days, weeks, months can change your entire life. Before all of this happened, I wondered how someone could ever get over such a betrayal. I wondered how I would  manage because the first affair devastated me and I was sure the second one would be worse. I was sure it would ruin my fragile  self-esteem,  cause me to gain weight, and never want to trust or love again... I was so  wrong. 

Here I am, a month and a half since the split and I feel amazing. I am running again, in the gym often, eating healthier, 34+ pounds lighter. I laugh and smile often, I play with my boys, I am a better mom. I am confident and I am happy! I am no longer looking back, the view is not worth it. I am meeting new people, learning something new every day and I am ready to start expeiencing all that life has to offer again. I am excited, scared and a wee bit nervous but am ready to open the door to the rest of my life. 

I never would have predicted that this is how all this would turn out. I never thought that I could ever look at my ex without feeling hurt or anger. While I still feel those things, it is not all I feel. I am actually  indifferent most of the time. I don't feel those things because of him, it is because of the dreams that were dashed. I have new dreams and am ready to make them reality.

I think I was able to move on for a few reasons. The first one is that the first affair crippled me. I felt worthless, used, hurt, angry. I was the victim . When I found out about the second affair, all those emotions  were already pretty used up. I felt like - fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. I felt like I had been generous in giving him a second chance and he was the one who threw that away. I could look back with confidence and know I tried to make it work. The second reason is, because things had been bad for so long and we had been through so much, I already felt separated and alone - not part of a couple. I had  handled much of  the hard stuff on my own. I had not felt loved, valued or cared  about in such a long time that the first emotion I felt when I threw him out was relief. It felt like a weight had been lifted off of my shoulders. 

I am ready to move on! So excited and so genuinely happy. I know what I want in life. I know I need to count on myself and I know that if I find that right person, starting as a trusted friend, that maybe one day I will love again. The thought gives me shivers. To love and be loved is a tremendous thing - I will not be taken for granted again. I am going to step through the door with my little men in tow and welcome all that our new life brings us. Adios old life, bigger and better things await us!

No comments:

Post a Comment