Sunday 16 December 2012

Happily Ever After – 29/8/11



‎"It's never too late to live happily ever after."
Anonymous 


I dropped off my boys today, came home and watched a Disney movie, you know the kind with the princess, prince charming and the happily ever after. I cried, I smiled and I imagined my happily ever after. I am a sucker for a love story - anything romantic makes me melt. 
I know it was a kids movie but it gave me a chance to reflect on a grown up level of what I want. I can honestly say, I do want my prince charming to come and sweep me off of my feet. He does not have to wear tights and a puffy shirt and he certainly does not have to ride a horse. I am sure 1 kiss from him will not save me, but then again, maybe it will. All these story book Prince Charming's have something in common. It is the way he looks at the princess, like she is the only thing in the world that matters. I want that. I want to be somebody's everything. 
I love how these stories all follow the same premise. The girl usually cannot stand the guy or does not see him in a romantic light. He annoys her or is a big jerk but something always changes that. It is often a gesture or an action by the prince, something that sets him apart. I think that this mimics life. It is those little things that I fall for. It is not big, grand gestures but the subtle things like being kind, being a good dad, kissing my forehead or bushing my hair away from my face. Acts like this come from the heart and mean more to me than anything else. I do however, love receiving flowers for no reason, not because I love roses but because it means that somebody wants me to be happy.  Flowers for no reason is very symbolic but I have learned that they can be substituted. There are other gestures that say the same thing. 
Many would say that these stories are fairy tales and to wish for my happily ever after and to shape it after a movie is silly, but I disagree. Of course these stories are on a bigger and grander scale, the characters are archetypes, and have elements that could never happen. If these stories played out the way reality actually was, they would not be as captivating. But I feel if you read the subtle messages and feel the story on it's deepest level then you can see that being that happy with a person is not impossible. It can happen and it means treasuring the gestures, not sweating the small stuff and allowing yourself to fall in love. 
My "once upon a time is" going to be a "happily ever after". I am not sure how it will play out or how many toads I will have to kiss before I meet my prince charming but I believe it is possible. I try my best to enjoy each treasured glance or kind gesture and let go of the small stuff that is only a big deal in my head. I know my Prince Charming is out there. One day we will ride off into the sunset on his trusted steed with or without the tights and puffy shirt.
you have kissed some frogs and even lobsters.....you will find your prince...I have no doubt...someone sweet..kind..HONEST...romantic...loving....and with any luck a great sense of humor and perhaps one that SMILES and has that little sparkly glint...lol 

No comments:

Post a Comment