Sunday 16 December 2012

Happy Birthday – 2/5/11



While we try to teach our children all about life,
Our children teach us what life is all about.
~Angela Schwindt

When your life gets turned upside down, like mine did, it is so easy to get lost in all the negativity. It is easy to be bitter and hostile (especially after 8 loads of laundry, the park, McDonalds, 3 meals for 4, baths for 4 and bedtime for 4, all on a warm Sunday!) But I am only slightly bitter, not really hostile and overwhelmingly happy and blessed that I have what I have.

It is my baby boys birthday. He is 2 and I got to wake up to his smiles and giggles - although slightly early, there is nothing better! I get to watch him open his gifts later today, I get to watch him blow out his candles, I get to be here for all of it and for that I am blessed. It is his day but it also is a good reminder of how rich I am and how lucky I am to be able to share all the joys my boys bring.

My baby is the most persistent child I have ever met. You are unable to remove him form a situation or redirect him as all the parenting experts would suggest. If he has his mind on something he is going to do it, even if it means waiting until you have your back turned. Size does not intimidate him and he will take his brothers out if they cross him in the slightest way. He will try in every way possible to get what he wants and can actually cry for very long periods of time until you figure out what's on his mind! He is an incredibly tiring little boy and you can't  take your eyes off him. He is  ton of work and worth every bit of it!

He has the best belly laughs and cannot resist howling in delight with a tickle. He always needs to have a cuddle in the morning with his milk and favorite blanket. He tells you that he loves you in his newly developing language and it melts your heart! He has a smile that lights up a room and an energy radiates from him. He is infectious! These days, he cries for me in the night, waking from nightmares and we sit in the dark, me rocking him. He holds me tight with his tiny arms and he drifts back to sleep and it fills me with joy to know that I make him feel so safe and secure.

I baked his cake last night, with his oldest brother as my helper. My oldest was ecstatic to be helping and almost fell off of his chair, literally, when he cracked an egg properly! My second stumbled down the stairs looking for me in his sleepy state. He was wide awake as soon as he saw we were baking and together we created a chocolate masterpiece! We laughed, we joked and then the boys cuddled on the couch while I cleaned up.... My heart was filled to the top watching, sharing and enjoying these special moments that will last in our hearts and sustain us!

So today I will focus on all things amazing. I will not dwell on what I have lost because in all actuality, I have not lost. I have been given an opportunity to spend more time with my boys, to share their joys and fears with them on a deeper and more peaceful level . Happy Birthday my brilliant baby boy! I love you!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment